Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Word of the Night- DISAPPOINTMENT

Okay, well today seemed like it was off to a good start. The missus and I had lunch with a couple of friends at Lucille's BBQ. I am not one for chain restaurants, but this is a jewel- (Sweet Tea, Tri-Tip, and Hot Links, fuckin' delicious)

Anyhow, after falling ill to the "Itis," we left for Hollywood. The missus got tickets to see RENT, which she had to see for one of her classes at school. I wasn't keen on it from the beginning and made several attempts to pawn this duty off on her mother, but to no avail. Well, what's a great boyfriend like me to do?

I slept in the car most of the way, and when I awoke, I found myself quite thirsty. I had been looking at watering holes around the area in preparation, and i had my eye on Bowery.

I have to research watering holes because I don't trust LA/Hollywood to have enough sense to get the beer I like to drink (with a few exceptions).

In fact, I think Martinis are still popular there anyhow. (spits)

Well, Bowery is listed as a Gastropub with a New York theme. (Hence its name)

And gastropubs are supposed to be venues with good food and good drink, which normally entails craft beer.

Here was Bowery's Beer list

Stone IPA
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Lost Abbey (which was out)
Chimay Red
Pabst Blue Ribbon


- DISAPPOINTMENT


I had a couple of Stone IPAs and wondered how a business can claim to be a gastropub when it fails to have a core element. And if that wasn't enough, the place had a full bar, yet no draft system. Their selections were all bottled. Something is wrong here and I don't understand why I don't have a job ensuring these things don't happen.

(sighs) The life of a blogger.

We left Bowery to its shabby wannabe elite. We went to the Pantages, parked the car, then found our seats. We were in the upper Mezzanine (great, right?).

Well, fuck that place.


I am a fat guy. You know what fat guys hate?

Stairs. People filled rows with narrow passage, and worst of all- small old narrow theater seats.


And the show hadn't started yet.

Well, maybe I already had a preconceived notion about this Rock Opera, but nonetheless, it was confirmed.

It sucked. I have to be honest. I couldn't connect with the characters, the plot got a bit unbelievable, and I found it to be a little "dated". None of the intended humor was all the relevant or accessible.

I think this thing was hyped up by its creator's death before release.


Now, I know what you guys are thinking. "Tibbi, you're just insensitive to the gay/artistic/AIDS cause(s)."

To you I say, "I am a straight writer who used to be constantly mistaken for a sensitive homosexual. I have a gay brother. And my best friend in high school was gay, even though I didn't find out until post graduation, which made all of the previous sleepovers kinda awkward in retrospect."

In other words, "I get it."

It was missing some things. I wanted Mimi to die. I didn't understand why she didn't.

Isn't this supposed to be a modern version of La Boheme?

I wanted something less preoccupied with Angel's flamboyancy in favor of character development in his essence. Angel's character and message were fine, but toward the end, the constant references to Angel show how little writing was done to keep the audience in tune with him so that they themselves would mentally reference Angel instead of the cast.


-DISAPPOINTING



When I came home I flipped on the boob tube to finally not be disappointed- Rush's concert in Rio was playing on VH-1. (yes, I watch VH-1, I am old- and MTV is stupid.)


Temples of Syrinx!!!! YES!!!!!

No comments: